La Coupe’s most specific feature is the prominent mount from which it derives its name meaning ‘summit’ in old French. Currently surmounted by a white navigation mark, it is believed that this distinctive landmark was of importance during the megalithic period. In 1928, a study for the Société Jersiaise was produced regarding Megalith stones. Father C Burdo noted that 81 blocks of granite were different from the stone found in the area and very similar to those forming La Hougue Bie. He concluded that the stones were moved to create a religious promontory, many of which are believed to have since fallen in the sea. An open battery with its flat platform and low parapet in front of the two 12-pounder guns was built below the mount and facing seaward here in 1779. A guardhouse used to store the gunpowder and accommodate the Militia gun crews when they were on duty was also built on the site. The small tower nearby was used by the Royal Navy as a lookout post during the Napoleonic Wars.
La Coupe is a beautiful and quiet little bay in the very north-east corner of the island marking the turning point between the Island’s tranquil eastern slopes and its wild northern cliffs. Consisting of côtils, farmland and coastland and abundant in Blackthorn, Honeysuckle and Bramble, the beach catches the sun until late afternoon and is very sheltered from all but on-shore breezes and is mostly sandy with patches of shingle. Views look south over Fliquet Bay towards the back of St. Catherine’s breakwater and to the east towards Les Ecrehous and French coast beyond.
In 2004 Mrs Sylvia Biggar very generously gifted 21 vergées of coastal land surrounding her property at La Coupe to the National Trust, as she wanted to ensure that the natural beauty would be permanently protected for the benefit of the Island. The Trust has worked hard over the years to ensure that her faith was well placed and has recently planted two mini woodlands either side of the road leading to the small car park. The area, a mix of coastal cliff, mixed scrub and agricultural land, receives an annual cut and the remaining agricultural field is used for conservation crops for over-wintering birds. The area is an important stopping-off point for migrant birds such as Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Spotted Flycatcher and Redstart.