This 18th-century guard house and powder magazine which sits on the seawall besides Le Chemin de L’Ouzière, in St Peter was constructed in 1765 and is the oldest defence in St Ouen’s Bay, now painted white as a navigation marker. Earlier names for the building include St. Peter’s Guardhouse and Magazine and the Middle Battery but it was better known as La Caumine à Mary Best. In 1815 Marie Best and her children took refuge in it during a smallpox epidemic. After Best died in 1832, the building fell into decay and in 1925 was sold by the War Department to Mr. William Gregory. Captain John Ashton Hilton acquired it in 1932 and in 1975 his widow, Mrs Marie Geneviève Hilton, donated the ‘White House’, together with four vergées of land to The National Trust for Jersey. The name “Le Don Hilton” means “the Hilton Gift”.
The National Trust rents Le Don Hilton out for occasions such as weddings and for overnight stays, though the facilities are minimal. Enjoy a weekend of barbecues with friends, surfing and swimming or just wrap up warm and watch as the sunsets over the bay.
National Trust Rangers manage this site which is a Site of Special Interest (SSI). The site is part of the St Ouen’s Bay coastal strip which forms a continuous dune habitat linking the south to the north of the Bay. Plants found at the site include Jersey Thrift Amreia Arenaria and Hare’s-tails grass Lagurus Ovatus.