The demo fence is up! This is a section of predator-proof fence for the proposed Seabird Reserve. Please see below for information on how to find it and participate in the public survey.
This is a Birds On the Edge initiative to create the first predator-free reserve in Europe, to safeguard Jersey’s puffins and other native species.
Our puffins are heading for extinction
• 100 years ago there were 1200-1800 puffins, razorbills and guillemots in Jersey
• Many coastal species are now extinct and there are only 8 puffins left that come back every year to try to breed
• Puffin chicks should come back here when they are ready to breed, but there have been no new pairs of puffins for decades
Introduced predators are eating their eggs & chicks
• Research suggests that our puffin chicks are not making it out alive
• Rats and ferrets are eating the eggs and chicks of puffins and other wildlife
• Our adult puffins will eventually die and become extinct, and other species will follow
• A predator-proof fence is the only feasible way to keep the rats and ferrets away
Without a fence, there won't be any puffins
• The SHIELD project aims to create a seabird reserve by removing the predators and installing a predator-proof fence
• It is a new technology that is working very well in New Zealand, Australia and Hawaii
• Albatrosses, petrels, shearwaters, kiwis, lizards and other species are thriving inside areas protected by these fences • Without a fence there is no future for our puffins and other coastal wildlife
What will the predator proof fence look like?
• The fence is tall and strong, and is built to stop rats and other introduced predators
• It will be placed 20-30m below the footpath
• It will not go through any footpaths or cut off public areas
• The fence will be visible from some parts of the footpath
We do hope that you will take the opportunity to visit the site and have a look for yourself. The demo fence is located on the eastern side of the Plémont headland.
We really want to hear your opinion, so please complete the public survey by clicking on this link.
Want to learn more?
The project in the news
8 March 2023 - UK Birdguides - Plans for predator-proof puffin fence on Jersey READ MORE
6 March 2023 - Channel 103 - Predator proof fence could save Jersey puffins READ MORE
5 March 2023 - Jersey Evening Post - Plans to build a fence on Jersey’s north coast to protect puffins READ MORE
26 July 2022 - ITV News - New campaign launched to save Jersey’s puffin population READ MORE
26 July 2022 - BBC World News - Puffin fence ‘could save birds from Jersey exctinction’ READ MORE
25 July 2022 - Bailiwick Express - ‘We can’t take it for granted that this colourful seabird will keep returning’ READ MORE
25 July 2022 - Jersey Evening Post - New puffin rescue plan READ MORE
8 April 2022 - Rural Magazine - Puffins return to island breeding cliffs READ MORE
7 April 2021 - Jersey Evening Post - Leave nesting puffins in peace say members of wildlife support project READ MORE
7 April 2021 - BBC News - Boats and kayaks in Jersey urged not to disturb nesting puffins READ MORE
25 June 2020 - ITV News - Warning over puffin numbers on Jersey’s north coast READ MORE
26 September 2018 - Jersey Evening Post - Measures planned to halt falling number of puffins READ MORE
15 Oct 2009 - Jersey Evening Post - Ferret threat to our indigenous bird and animal populations READ MORE
26 March 2009 - BBC News - Plans to help halt puffin decline READ MORE