Free for all.
None. Toilets and refreshments available at Le Moulin de Quétivel, a short walk along the woodland footpath.
There is no disabled access to the steam engine but there is access to the rear courtyard.
Bus Nº 8 & 8A
No parking on site, but available at Le Moulin de Quétivel, a short walk along the woodland footpath.
Discovery: Historic Buildings
Le Moulin de Tesson
Standing at the entrance of St Peter’s Valley, this spectacular landmark building provides a rare insight into Jersey’s industrial past.
As one of the few remaining mills in the Island, this magnificent property demonstrates the importance of preserving Jersey’s heritage for future generations. Within its walls lies evidence of a large steam engine, which was used to supplement the power required to run the substantial double-width wheel.
Although the first recorded mill dates from 1274, when it was the property of the Pinel family, there has probably been a mill on the site since the 11th century. Since then, the mill has passed alternately from the property of private owners to the property of the Crown and, as a result, the mill has undergone several phases of development. The current building reflects the changes made since 1831. The last private owners, the Gilley family, sold the property in 1934 to the New Jersey Waterworks Company, who diverted water from the stream into a reservoir nearby. The secondary, steam-powered engine had to be replaced by a more powerful oil-powered engine.
Although used extensively during the Occupation, the mill soon fell into disrepair as the importation of flour became common. Faced with demolition, it was thanks to a donation by Miss Izette Croad that we were able to purchase the mill in 1996 and safeguard it for the future. Due to a lack of available funds, a 150 year lease was granted to a private developer to restore and convert the interior of the mill to residential apartments. However, we have retained and restored the key historical elements such as the mill wheel and steam engine room.
The current building comprises the main mill with a water wheel; steam engine room; grinding room; dry storage area; the miller’s cottage; a walled courtyard; pigsties, and an outer garden. During the summer it is possible for visitors to access some of these areas. Within the engine room there is a short film telling the story of the history of Tesson Mill.
La Rue du Moulin de Tesson, St Peter’s Valley, JE3 7TS
Tesson Mill is temporarily closed while we carry out archaeological surveys and maintenance work. We hope to reopen the site in summer 2023.